Blueberry Ale, Red Onion and Lime Steamed Mussels
- 2 pounds PEI Mussels
- 1/2 each Red Onion sliced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 each Lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 bottle Gahan Blueberry Ale
- 1 cup Cucumber medium dice
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 4-5 leaves Fresh Basil chopped
- Place mussels in a colander and rinse under cold running water to remove any dirt or sand; do not submerge.
- In a large pot combine mussels, red onion, garlic, lime zest & juice, and blueberry ale; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and steam mussels for 5-7 minutes or until all of the mussel shells have opened.
- Mix cucumbers into mussels and season with salt & black pepper. Place mussels and broth into a serving bowl. Discard any unopened shells. Garnish with basil and serve hot. If desired, serve with crusty bread to soak up the broth.
- Chef’s Tip: If pairing with Honeydew Apiaries Robin Rhubarb Mead, replace Blueberry Ale with 1 cup of Honeydew Apiaries Robin Rhubarb Mead.