Chipotle Mussel Salad
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4 lbs Mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp Chipotles in adobo, puréed
- ½ cup Light beer (pilsner works well)
- ½ medium White onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup Lightly packed cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bag Tortilla chips, for serving
- Pick over mussels and discard any that are broken.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pot over medium high heat, once hot add chipotles in adobo. Cook for one minute. Add beer, bring mixture to a boil, once boiling add mussels, cover with a lid. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until mussels have opened. Remove from heat. Let mussels cool while you prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
- In a large bowl mix together onions, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil.
- Once mussels are cool enough to handle, remove meat from eachshell, discard the shell and add the mussel meat to the salad bowl. Discard anyshells that did not open while cooking. Once all mussels have been shelled, mixeverything together. Season with sugar, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings toyour taste. Refrigerate mussel salad for at least one hour and up to 6 hoursfor flavours to meld.
- Serve with tortilla chips on the side.