Hot Smoked Salmon, Watercress & Apple Salad with a Herb Buttermilk Dressing
Yield: 4-6 servings
- ½ lb Hot smoked salmon
- 2 bunches Watercress, cleaned and tough stems removed
- 1 Small or half a large bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 Gala apple, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Pickled shallots
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Mayo
- 2 tsp Pickling liquid
- 2 tbsp Tarragon, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Chives, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Shallots, thinly sliced rounds
- ⅓ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- Place sliced shallots into a 250 ml glass jar or a heatproof bowl. In a small pot bring apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt to boil. Once boiling and the salt and sugar have dissolved, pour hot liquid over shallots, place a small bowl or cup on top of shallots to keep them submerged in the pickling liquid. Let shallots pickle at least one hour or overnight.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk, mayo, pickling liquid and herbs, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the watercress on a platter or a shallow serving bowl. Scatter over fennel, apples and pickled shallots. Tear salmon over in pieces and drizzle with buttermilk dressing.
- Extra pickled shallots will keep for up to a month in the fridge.