Island Steamers with Fennel, Tomato and Lime
- 4 lbs fresh steamer clams (washed free of any sand)
- 1 cup small diced fennel
- 1 cup small diced tomato (skin removed)
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Saute the fresh clams, fennel tomato and curry in the butter for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, cream and lime juice and bring to a boil.
- Cover then let simmer for about 8 minutes over medium heat or until the clams are opened and the meat can be easily pulled away from the shell.
- Taste the broth and adjust the seasoning with salt if necessary.
- Transfer the clams to a large bowl or casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining broth over the clams and sprinkle with cracked pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread and lime wedges.
Photo: James Ingram4