Yield: 6-8 servings, 8 cups
- 2 Live lobsters (about 1 ½ to 2 lbs each)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large Onion, roughly chopped
- 4 Celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 large Carrot or 2 medium, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- ½ cup Dry vermouth or sherry
- 6 Sprigs of parsley + 2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- 2 Bay leaves
- 6 Sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns
- 4 cups Fish stock
- ⅓ cup Butter
- ⅓ cup Flour
- 1 cup 35% Cream
- Fill a large pot with 1-inch water and 2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Add lobsters to the pot and cover with a lid, once boiling reduce heat to medium low and let cook for 12 minutes, until shells are bright red. Remove lobsters from pot, set aside to cool. Reserve 1 cup of strained lobster cooking liquid.
- Once lobster shells are cool enough to handle, carefully remove meat from the tail and claws, set shells aside. Chop meat from the body and keep claws intact for garnish, set aside.
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat, add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften, stirring often. Add lobster shells and cook for another 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cook for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze pot with vermouth, cook until liquid reduces by half. Add parsley sprigs, bay leaves, thyme, fish stock, 2 cups of water and 1 cup of reserved lobster cooking liquid. Bring to a boil over high, once boiling reduce heat to medium to keep at a simmer. Let simmer for 45 minutes. Strain lobster stock, discard vegetables and lobster shells.
- Melt butter in a clean large pot over medium high heat, whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in strained lobster stock until it is incorporated and smooth, bring to a boil and let cook for 2-3 minutes to slightly thicken. Remove from heat, stir in cream, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle bisque into bowls, garnish with chopped lobster meat and tails and chopped parsley.