Mediterranean Fish Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions medium diced
- 1 fennel bulb medium diced
- 1 carrot medium diced
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tomatoes medium diced
- 1 leek dark green end removed, medium diced
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb blue mussels
- 12 raw scallops
- 12 raw shrimps shells removed
- 1 cup cooked lobster meat chopped
- In a medium-sized stockpot, heat olive oil, then add onion, fennel, celery and carrot.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add tomato, leek, saffron, white wine, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf and water.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, add seafood, cover and cook for approximately 5 minutes until mussel shells have opened and scallops and shrimp are cooked.
- To serve, ladle soup into wide soup plates and garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.