- 4 lbs Fresh cultured blue mussels
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ¾ cup Onions, diced
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Potatoes
- 4 cups Milk
- 2 cups Light cream
- 4 slices Bacon, fried crisp
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the fresh blue mussels in tap water. Place in a large saucepan with a small amount of water on high heat. Cover and let steam until shells open (5-7 minutes). Remove meats, strain and reserve broth.
- Add enough hot water to broth to make 4 cups (1 L).
- Melt butter in a pot, add onion and sauté until transparent. Add flour and stir to blend thoroughly with fat, gradually add broth and water mixture, bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, simmer until nearly done.
- Add fresh blue mussels and gently stir in milk and cream; heat.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with bacon strips or crumbled. Also, a touch of paprika adds nice colour.