Mussels with Chorizo and Smoked Paprika
- 5 lbs Fresh blue cultured mussels
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 100 g Dry-cured chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- 1 cup White wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Dried chili flakes
- Rinse fresh blue mussels in tap water and set aside.
- Discard any mussels that do not close after being rinsed.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and saute until it starts to brown. Add garlic, paprika, tomato paste, sugar, chili flakes and cumin. Stir well and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add white wine, salt and pepper and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, then add mussels. Cover and leave to steam for 5-7 minutes, until mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Transfer mussels to a serving dish and top with chopped cilantro and lemon zest. Serve with slices of crusty bread.