Oyster Po' Boys
Servings: 2 servings
- 24 Oysters, shucked and drained
- 2 tsp Old bay seasoning
- ½ cup Fine cornmeal
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil
- ½ cup Mayo
- ¼ cup Finely chopped celery and leaves
- 2 tbsp Chives, finely chopped
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 Crusty submarine buns, toasted
- 2 Beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl stir together mayo, celery, chives and lemon zest. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl whisk together old bay seasoning, cornmeal and flour. In another small bowl pour in buttermilk.
- Coat oysters one at a time in buttermilk and then cornmeal mixture. Set aside coated oysters on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron pan over medium high heat. Once hot add oysters, frying for 1-2 minutes per side until they are crispy and golden. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- To assemble sandwich, coat top and bottoms of the bun with celery mayo, layer on iceberg lettuce and sliced tomatoes, top with fried oysters. Serve with any extra lemon wedges if desired.