PEI Fried Oyster Salad
Fresh PEI Oysters + Buttermilk + Italian + Panko Breadcrumbs +Cajun Seasoning + Arugula Salad + Parmesan Reggiano + Spicy Aioli Dressing
Servings: 2 People
- 12 PEI oysters, shucked
- 1 cup (125 ml) Buttermilk
- ½ cup (125 ml) All-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) Breadcrumbs
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup (250 ml) Canola oil, small reserved for salad dressing
- 4 cups Arugula Salad
- 1 cup (250 ml) Parmesan Reggiano
- ½ cup (125 ml) Mayo
- 1 tsp (15 ml) Sriracha
- 1 Fresh lemon, squeezed & zested
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Insert an oyster knife into the opening and slowly twist and pop it. This should open the oyster, run your knife to remove the top shell. Using the knife, slip it under the oyster meat to loosen the lower adductors allowing you to remove the meat and discard the oyster’s liquor.
- Place the buttermilk in a small bowl along with the shucked oysters. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 to 3 hours to tenderize the oysters.
- Place the flour into a small bowl, breadcrumbs into another small bowl. Whisk and combine the eggs and Cajun seasoning in another bowl. Dredge each of the oysters, one at a time, in the flour, then the egg wash, and then roll them in breadcrumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil to 350°F (180°C). Fry the oysters, in small batches, for approx. 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Season, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the salad, canola, cheese and mix. In a small bowl add the mayo, sriracha, lemon juice, salt and pepper, mix well. Build the salad & ENJOY!
Recipe and Photo Credit: Matt Dean Pettit